Thursday, July 9, 2009

Garden Update

The 2009 garden includes:

Corn:

Bodacious Corn, 16 foot rows x 15 rows = 240 feet of corn = 289 stalks
Peaches and Cream Corn, 14 foot rows x 5 rows = 70 feet of corn = 82 stalks
Total Corn = 310 feet and 371 stalks.

Each stalk is supposed to produce 1-2 ears of corn

Beans:

Blue Lake Bush Beans, 14 foot rows x 9 rows = 126 feet of beans

Tomatoes:

10 Roma, 5 Delicious, 5 Sweet Baby Girl.
Fungus got 7 of the Romas so I pulled them. We have been getting alot of the cherries and a few of the Delicous. I think the fungus stunted the remaining 3 Romas and they aren't producing like they should.

Peppers:

I planted 40 pepper plants consisting of Sweet Banana, Sweet Bell, Jalapeno, and Scotchbonnet Orange which are hotter than habeneros. I'll be eating all of them I am sure. The 40 plants are in 2 rows at 27 feet per row.

Cucumbers:

I had to expand the garden at the last minute to find a home for the cucumbers and pumpkins, since they were the last to get planted. I planted 4 hills of Burpless Bush and 4 hills of Straight Eight.

Pumpkins:

Like the cucumbers they are part of the new expanded garden. I planted 8 hills of Howden's Field pumkins. They have really taken off and we should have alot of pumkins at the end of September as they take 115 days to mature.

Squash/Zucchini:

I planted 3 hills of Black Zucchini and 3 hills of Early Prolific Straightneck Squash. They have been producing and are really starting to go crazy.

Onions:

Planted 4 rows of onions at 27 feet per row for a total of 108 feet of onions. Spacing them 2-4 inches apart thats a lot of onions! Varieties include: White Bunching Lisbon, Yellow Sweet Spanish, and Yellow Granex.

Carrots:

Tendersweet Carrot variety planted in 2 rows at 27 feet per row. They were a pain to thin out but they are looking good. No rabbits have eaten them yet!

Radishes:

Easter Egg variety, planted in 2 rows at 27 feet per row. Planted in April and they didn't do to good due to all the rain. The peppers plants took their place in the garden. I think I am going to grow a second crop in Mid-August and see what happens.


---------------------------


Here is a picture. If you look at the far end you can see where I just tilled up more ground for an expanded garden in 2010. That will nearly double its size. The neighbors probably think I am crazy.





No comments:

Post a Comment